Sunday, October 4, 2009

Online Photo Sharing

So we have a number of photo sharing communities:
  • Photobucket.com
  • Smugmug
  • Snapfish
  • Kodak Easy Share Gallery
  • Flickr.com
  • Web shots.com
I will have to set up a Flickr account - this is probably a more useful way of organising, archiving and sharing photos than Facebook which is what I have been using. I am a little conscious of the privacy thing and really do not want to have too much unnecessary information about myself on the net. The facebook friend thing can get a little out of control and occasionally I've had to delete items or persons: you cannot control what other people say.
I enjoyed the 'Burbank Library Bug digital Photo Contest' idea using Flickr.

www.commoncraft.com
This was an interesting site: I like brevity and I thought their 3 minute videos to help educators introduce complex subjects were very clever. Clean and simple - presenters can go overboard with entertaining gadgets and lose their message in the process.

The Commons
Objective to increase access to publicly held photo collections (Flickr/Library of Congress) and use tagging to contribute to information and knowledge. All images must have no known copyright restrictions. I used Flickr to search for photos of Wellington Point for a planned family get together. I wanted to see what sort of facilities they had out there. Found a whole lot of beautiful photos and managed to glean the information I needed.

Creative Commons - www.creativecommons.org/
photos can be shared, remixed, reused legally.

No comments:

Post a Comment